Windshield Repair and Replacement
A damaged windshield can significantly interfere with the safety of your passengers. Not only do cracks and chips in your windshield cause visual impairment, when left unrepaired they can spread and create an unstable windshield. Don't wait until it's too late to have your windshield repaired or replaced. Call the glass specialists at Glass Doctor® of Fredericksburg today, and we will restore your glass so you can safely return to the road.
Windshield Service Assessment
While our team of professional glass specialists will always attempt to repair cracks and chips that are less significant, larger cracks and chips sometimes require complete windshield replacement. Glass Doctor of Fredericksburg considers the following factors in order to determine your best solution.
- Size: In most cases, chips that measure more than 3/8 inch in diameter will not qualify for windshield chip repair and will result in a total windshield replacement. Additionally, cracks that measure more than three inches in length generally require windshield replacement.
- Location: Cracks that are located near the edge of the windshield do not typically qualify for windshield crack repair due to their tendency to spread. If the crack or chip is located directly in your line of vision a complete windshield replacement is typically required as well, since a repair of the damaged area often will not cure clearly.
- Age: When chips and cracks are left unrepaired, dirt and debris can build up in the damaged area making a successful repair less likely.
Whenever possible windshield repair is the recommended solution. The specialists at Glass Doctor of Fredericksburg believe that there are several advantages to choosing repair over replacement.
- Prevent Further Damage: Having minor auto glass damage repaired in a timely manner can prevent chips and cracks from spreading.
- Convenience: Our auto glass specialists complete repair work in about an hour at your location.
- Cost: Windshield repair is far less expensive than complete windshield replacement.
- Insurance: Some insurance companies will waive your deductible when you opt for windshield repair instead of replacement.
- Environment: When your windshield is replaced instead of repaired, the old glass is sent to a landfill where it will remain forever.
In order to repair your windshield, our glass specialists will begin by removing any dirt or debris from the damaged area. In some cases a drill is used to create a clean surface for the repair resin. The resin is injected into the cracked or chipped area and allowed to cure. Once the area is polished to a clear finish, you will be ready to get back on the road. The entire process is typically completed in less than an hour.
When windshield damage is too severe to qualify for repair, prompt replacement is essential to your safety and that of your passengers. According to the Auto Glass Safety Council™ (AGSC), your windshield plays a vital role in the structural integrity of your vehicle in a rollover accident. The specialists at Glass Doctor of Fredericksburg understand the importance of professional windshield replacement and follow a series of important steps to ensure that your windshield is properly replaced.
- The windshield is carefully removed to prevent damages that could lead to corrosion or leaks.
- AGSC approved adhesives are applied.
- An original equipment manufacturer (OEM) quality windshield is installed in compliance with AGSC recommended procedures.
- A one-hour wait time is observed.
Contact the specialists at Glass Doctor of Fredericksburg today for your auto glass repair and replacement needs.