How to Replace Broken Window Pane Glass
If you need to replace broken window pane glass, it is important to act quickly and safely. If you have double pane windows, you may only need to replace one pane of window glass, which makes the repair less costly than you may think.
Follow these important steps when you find a broken window in your home.
Simple Steps to Window Repair
Coming home to find broken glass can shatter your sense of safety. Depending on the damage to your window, you may be able to just fix a single window pane and save money by not replacing the whole window.
If you decide to replace the window pane glass yourself, follow these basic steps:
- While wearing safety gloves and long sleeves, carefully remove the broken glass pane.
- Remove all glazing from the old opening and have custom replacement pane glass measured and cut by a glass professional.
- Hold the new piece of glass in place by using glazier's points.
- Apply caulk or glazing compound to the edges of the glass, where it contacts the frame. Use a putty knife to smooth the glazing compound.
It is important to follow all safety precautions when replacing your own window pane glass. It is often more convenient and more affordable than you may think to call a glass replacement professional.
What to Do After a Break-In
If you are the victim of a break-in and you need to replace broken window or door pane glass, you should follow these important steps immediately:
- Call the police.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Don't touch anything that could be considered evidence.
- After the police arrive, carefully clean up the broken glass.
- Call an emergency glass repair service to replace your window glass or board your windows until replacement glass can be provided.
If you need emergency glass repair service, consider calling the experts at Glass Doctor®. We provide quality window pane glass replacement, including 24/7 emergency services.
Window Pane Glass Replacement from Glass Doctor
If a break-in or an accident occurs, trust the specialists at Glass Doctor to measure, custom cut and install your replacement window glass. If a special pane must be ordered in order to repair your window, we will board up the window in order to keep your home safe and protected from the elements. We can even upgrade your windows with Insulated Glass Units and Low-E windows.
Call Glass Doctor at (855) 603-1919 to schedule a free in-home consultation and to replace your window pane glass.
Today's Homeowner: http://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/replacing-a-broken-window-pane/