Cracked Windshield | Repair & Replacement
If you have a crack in your windshield that is less than 12 inches long, you may be able to repair it. This guide will show you the steps it takes to repair a cracked windshield and how to identify whether or not the crack warrants a windshield replacement.
Do I Repair or Replace My Cracked Windshield
Cracked windshields can easily be repaired if the crack isn’t too wide and is identified quickly.
Location and timespan are important factors in determining whether or not your windshield needs to be repaired or replaced:
- Windshield cracks that extend past three inches and chips larger than 3/8 inch usually require the replacement of your windshield.
- If your windshield crack obscures your line of vision, a replacement is recommended.
- Cracks that aren't checked will see dirt and debris build up, making it more of a challenge to repair. Repair your windshield as soon as a crack starts.
Most repairs can be made in under an hour with an auto glass service company, and your car insurance often covers the cost.
While a DIY approach may work for some, glass is delicate and repairs should be handled by professionals.
A cracked windshield puts your safety at risk, so it’s important to assess cracks and chips seriously.
Three Steps to Repair Your Cracked Windshield
- The first step in repairing your cracked windshield is to inspect and clean the damaged area or areas.
- Dust and debris are removed from your damaged windshield. Drilling may be required if your windshield is chipped, nicked or gouged.
- Once a smooth pathway is created, there are several clear resins that can be applied to the crack. The resin is then cured and polished to restore your car glass to a clean, transparent finish.
Call Glass Doctor® and Fix Your Cracked Windshield
Glass Doctor auto glass specialists can help you repair or replace your cracked windshield. While windshield replacement can be more costly than repairs, we accept most forms of insurance and even fill the paperwork out for you to make the process easier.
We have mobile services dedicated to ensuring your time and safety are a priority. Call us today at 855-603-1919 or even set up an appointment at one of our locations near you.
Safe Windshields: http://www.safewindshields.org/what-role-does-my-windshield-play-to-ensure-my-safety-in-an-accident/